View Single Post
      11-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #11
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos84 View Post
You really think they will immediately go with a full "ELECTRIC M5" ??? That seems like a pretty rash marketing choice on the part of BMW and I can't see this EVER being a popular move with this segment of the market. I know that German automakers are some of the most leftist progressive types out there and will undoubtedly be the first to make these sorts of moves as they are all about emissions... However, I would think that they would go electric with their standard series lineups before the "M" vehicles which are, as we all know, aimed at US, the performance market who LOVES our petrol powered cars. If they are really planning to make this move sooner rather that later then it would make far more sense to phase it in slowly with segments of their buying audience that would be far more receptive FIRST, then begin with M hybrids as an option first. Of course this is all just my opinion and they may just pull the rug out from under everyone and lose a whole bunch of potential customers in one fell swoop, who knows? lol
I too hope BMW will not go with an all electric M5 out of the gate with the next generation. For certain, it will be some type of hybrid 48v, etc. like in the 440i. Other brands like Mercedes is also doing the hybrid format engine. BMW didn't even introduce a new engine with the current F90 M5, basically the same S63 engine from the previous F10 M5, really a technical update (S63tu) was all. This shows BMW is already planning a major overhaul to go with some type of hybrid if not electric engine for the future. The success of Tesla in the last few years is putting pressure for others to follow suit in this new digital electric age of cars. I hope I'm wrong and BMW will still continue to offer a V8 TT petrol version of the M5 for us petrol heads.
Appreciate 2