10-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #21
Cliff3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
You'll be better served with the D80 or D40. The D70 is using older technology, and has numerous flaws that were corrected in the D80. The d80 is really an outstanding consumer grade camera. The d40 is an excellent alternative if you don't want to drop the dough on the D80.

Honestly, you're better served with the less expensive body and better lenses. For instance, getting the 12-24mm for $~650 used is a lot better use of your money than going from the d40 to the d80. As I've posted in numerous threads, I can get 99% of my "money" shots from a d40 and a kit lens. I use a D200 and some pricey glass because it ups my yield and lets me get some shots or sequences I just can't get with a lower end camera.

BUT, you don't need to worry about that right now! You need to work on the basics, and when you master everything a d40 or d80 can do, you'll be ready for the next step up, which will be 10x better than my d200, and half the price. And if you're using Nikon, you can reuse all your old lenses.
A D80 blows the stated budget. And a D70S is a more capable body than the D40.
Appreciate 0