View Single Post
      07-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Did you guys already swap the roof?

Yeah, I'm well aware that lifting the roof structure will loosen up the top of the chassis. Also that after welding, the cage may shift and the roof may not fit. Especially since my style of cage building is to make it as close to the chassis as possible this may be a problem.

My plan is to build the cage before I lift the roof. Weld up as much as possible of the cage as well as gussets to the chassis. Then, once the cage is 95% finished, lift the roof skin to weld the top of the cage where I wouldn't be able to reach. This way, I would not need to build large pedestals for the cage base or drill a hole in the floor (not my style) to drop the cage and then plate it. This would allow me to easily make perfect, sound welds on the top of the cage. Then put the new roof back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
Well, I already have a hardtop headliner for that job (if you want a headliner). Waiting until you do the roll cage isn't a bad idea, but watch out - there is a precise order in which to do things. You don't want to just take the roof out first.
Appreciate 0