Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Ok super easy. Just tilt the mirrors all the way down and stick you fingers behind the mirror and apply pressure until it pops free. It won't break. It's just a slip ring around a plastic circle. Let the mirror dangle down and you can see the two tabs easily. Just take a large flat blade, stick it in between the upper and lower prongs and rotate to open both prongs at the same time. At the same time apply pressure backward to gently unseat the one tab. Repeat for second tab until the cover comes free.

Disconnect the turn signal plug, and use T10 to unscrew the 2 screws. I slid the signal slightly toward the plug part and Separated the other end from the guide. Then applied pressure from the outside of the mirror on the turn signal itself to separate it from the two tabs inside and then just pulled it out. Easy peasy.
I remember trying to remove the stock mirror glass for my wife's GTI back in 2012. Terrible blind spots and I was installing the European ones that allow you to see further out in the traffic lanes. When I went to pull the passenger side mirror off as you explained above, the outward pressure right before it released from the mounting point cracked the stock mirror glass. Since I was replacing the stock mirror glass it was no big issue.
So you cracked them on the GTI or the M5? Either way that's how they're removed so maybe be a bit more careful on the M5 using even pressure??? Idk what exactly you're looking for.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0