View Single Post
      02-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #15
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
I have a M3 Comp 2017 and have driven the M5C extensively both on "normal" roads and the Nürburgring and am in the market for one.

This is not to replace the M3 mind you but to complement it as a more rounded family-performance-saloon. The M5 would replace my G31 540iX wagon instead.

I think they're quite different. Objectively speaking the M5C has bags more performance than the M3 and is much more easily extracted. The comfort and amenities (sound system, software, space, luggage, etc) are all on a different and higher level.

That said, I still plan on keeping my M3 Comp. It is such an analogue modern car (mine is stick) and is way more visceral in both drive train and drive experience. To get your thrills on a Sunday morning the M3 offers a much more accessible package in a relatively lower speed.

You can extract great fun from the M5 Comp, but chances are you deeply in illegal territory if you don't live on a race track.

Once again, if I have the means I plan on keeping both for a long time where the M3 transitions in a more track-oriented setting. It is 400kgs lighter than the M5 Comp and manual, so it is a different proposition. Still seating 4 adults comfortably mind you, which no track-oriented Porsche can manage.
Appreciate 1