View Single Post
      07-08-2020, 02:41 AM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
As a user of both, I'm surprised at some of the comments. Windows is a pain in the backside - slow to start up, constantly loading and installing updates, programmes hanging. The Surface Pro I use for work is awful - the detachable keyboard is like typing on a sponge and when the device gets warm the screen flickers so much it's unusable until it cools down.

My 2015 MacBook Pro is still as good as the day I bought it. It's fast to start up, fast to load apps and pretty much rock solid.

I also don't get the point about office formatting cross-platform. I frequently work on spreadsheets, word documents and powerpoint presentations on both OSs and I've never had formatting issues.

I think really the decision comes down to what software will be required for the course. If it's mostly Windows only, I wouldn't recommend a Mac with Parallels. You'd have to pay for Parallels and Windows on top of the price of the device and your daughter would soon get bored of effectively having to boot twice (even though it would probably get to the desktop quicker than most Windows laptops).

Also, to connect the peripherals you mentioned, you'd probably need a couple of adaptors or a Thunderbolt dock, as MacBooks don't have USB or HDMI anymore.

If the software is cross-platform (e.g. mostly Office) and you can cope with adaptors for the peripherals, I would say definitely go Apple.
I don't think that's a fair comparison of the Surface Pro. Sounds like work have provided you with the wrong piece of kit. It's a highly portable device and, with the right specs, pretty performant. I use mine as my main home machine, but connected to the same wireless mouse, wireless keyboard and monitor as everything else. Out and about, it fits in far smaller carrying cases than my laptop - and is far better for using on a plane or on a small coffee shop table etc.

The MacBook Pro is more a competitor with the Surface laptop.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0