View Single Post
      07-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

As a user of both, I'm surprised at some of the comments. Windows is a pain in the backside - slow to start up, constantly loading and installing updates, programmes hanging. The Surface Pro I use for work is awful - the detachable keyboard is like typing on a sponge and when the device gets warm the screen flickers so much it's unusable until it cools down.

My 2015 MacBook Pro is still as good as the day I bought it. It's fast to start up, fast to load apps and pretty much rock solid.

I also don't get the point about office formatting cross-platform. I frequently work on spreadsheets, word documents and powerpoint presentations on both OSs and I've never had formatting issues.

I think really the decision comes down to what software will be required for the course. If it's mostly Windows only, I wouldn't recommend a Mac with Parallels. You'd have to pay for Parallels and Windows on top of the price of the device and your daughter would soon get bored of effectively having to boot twice (even though it would probably get to the desktop quicker than most Windows laptops).

Also, to connect the peripherals you mentioned, you'd probably need a couple of adaptors or a Thunderbolt dock, as MacBooks don't have USB or HDMI anymore.

If the software is cross-platform (e.g. mostly Office) and you can cope with adaptors for the peripherals, I would say definitely go Apple.
Appreciate 0