Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Great to have official acknowledgement of what was a very poorly kept secret. Still waiting to hear more details about the ZF8 transmission, specifically what (if anything) has changed from the Series application.

I also wonder if they will fit a specifically tuned version of this system to the future X3M, X4M, X5M, and X6M? While perhaps this isn't necessary, it might actually allow those SUVs to perform better in some tests without sacrificing in other areas. So it seems at least possible.

As for the M3/M4, I believe that they will remain RWD until forced to go AWD by the competition. That might happen as soon as next generation, but unlike cars in the E63/M5 class, engine output has not yet made this necessary. We'll wait to see what Mercedes has cooking for the next C63. That could give indication of where the segment - and BMW - is going.
Used to be a time when BMW led these segments, not followed. Or with the E28 M5, created the segments.

You don't find this disconcerting?
Having both 4WD and RWD in the same car as a changeable switch is leading the segment. No other car manufacturer has this.
the e63s has a rwd drift only mode... sounds identical to me... unless someone plans to drive the car in rwd w everything off... its not a true rwd mode unless u want to drift