MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Where are you getting your information from? I never heard about the whole lock container where you can't just leave it in your vehicle.
California Penal Code Section 12026.2
carrying a handgun in your car even in a locked container is only for the purpose of transporting from one specific location to another (going to the range, going hunting, etc.). It is illegal to carry a firearm without a permit, even in a locked container in your car, for general purposes such as self-defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Also, ammunition can be carried in the same locked container as the gun.
California Penal Code 25400
The ammunition must be kept in a separate container. All weapons must also be unloaded while they are in a vehicle, even when they are inside a locked container.

People have been charged already for both of these violations. I don't certainly agree with them but it's best to be informed. Just go apply for your CCP it's a very easy process and most people can have a valid reason for being granted one.
I have a CA CCW.

I searched the penal code you listed. There is no mention that ammunition needs to be separated from the lock container.

Ammunition cannot be attached to the handgun in any manner. Under most circumstances, a firearm is considered loaded when there is a live round of ammunition "...in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to: in the firing chamber, magazine or clip thereof attached to the firearm..." For example, a semi-automatic handgun with an empty firing chamber and a loaded magazine inserted in the magazine well is considered loaded. There is no prohibition in the state codes against also carrying ammunition within the same motor vehicle or compartment in the vehicle, as long as the firearms are not loaded and ammunition is not attached in any manner to the firearm. - Penal Code Sections 12025, 12026, 12031

PC25400:
Absent aggravating circumstances, carrying a concealed firearm in violation of California Penal Code 25400 PC is a misdemeanor.41 If convicted of misdemeanor carrying a concealed firearm, you face the following consequences:

up to one (1) year in a county jail, and/or
a maximum $1,000 fine