View Single Post
      06-15-2022, 05:14 PM   #33
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Well yeah, but the 1 second at startup happens a lot less than 7k rpm where the oil turns to froth because it's so thin haha. Plus the difference between 0w and 5w at startup I doubt is going to change much of anything. Both the f10 and f90s were rated for 5w40 with some other weights being acceptable per the owners manual, they changed that in 2020i want to say when they needed to meet stricter emissions standards. If you don't drive your car hard or don't track it I'm sure 0-30 is just fine, but I've seen it turn to bubbles on other people's cars.
But this is the great oil debate and there is no right or wrong answer and honestly it's just subjective and whatever people want to do, at the end of the day oil is oil and as long as you're not doing something ridiculous like 20-60 or 0-16 I'd say you're gonna be fine 🤣🤣🤣
For the most part, you're right. But, it's pretty straightforward, a 10W-30 is the most stable oil over time. The 0W-30 gives it better winter flow characteristics but sacrifices some stability. Adding the 40 makes it thicker for high stress use, but the bearings and clearance have to be built for it. Of course, there's a break point somewhere. If thicker=better, why not a 0W-100? Who knows where it is? The engineers who made the car have the most testing under their belts.

I just wanted to know why that oil and that weight. Wanted to catch the reasoning.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
micvite1543.00