Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
I am interested in getting a 2014 M5 w/ZCP.

I spent some time in a friend's car and I like it. Before I take the plunge, I'd like to look at a 2014 E63 sAMG. The AWD appeals to me but in pictures the car is, well, let's say uninspired in the looks dept.

They're also very hard to find so I haven't seen one, never mind driven one.
Has anyone here spent some time in one? Any thoughts?

Pat
The E63 is somewhat ugly, and the fit and finish seems cheap. However the AWD nature of the car probably makes it much easier to drive than the M5. Acording the Nurburgring times, the M5 base is faster than the E63 S-AMG. The M5 CP should be a clearly faster. The one warning on the M5 is that it is a harder car to drive. Much harder than the M3. It spins easily in MDM mode - It's less forgiving and the power exceeds the ability of the chassis. This means you can't just go around flooring the throttle and expecting MDM to take care of it. You have to drive the car with finesse. The E63 will be easier to drive and extract results from.
M5 is faster around the ring according to manufacturer claimed time (BMW claimed 7:55), which MB doesn't have one.

If we use third party time (Sport Auto), both the CLS63 (8:03) and the E63 S (7:55) are faster than the M5 (8:05).
Appreciate 0