View Single Post
      04-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #3
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Bottom line first: Is M5 competition a car someone likes because there is NOT much drama and just in love with the sleeper factor with functionality, or is there some real drama to driving this thing around where you just feel "this car is special" while you're cruising at most speeds and on most roads?

Feel free to comment based on that, but i'll expand a little below:

I'm a man with children and the desire to track my cars. I would not get the M5 as a "track car" but would potentially take it 2-3x/year. Mostly daily driving, hauling kids (boys, 4yo & 6yo) around, weekend trips, etc. If my next home (in about a year) happens to be very close to at track, chances are I'll go 992S, GT4, M3 or something silly like a Camaro ZL1 1LE.

I had an M6 GranCoupe Competition (2016) that I bought used. It had EVERY option imaginable (~$160k MSRP, full leather, carbon ceramics, akrapovic exhaust, upgraded sound etc etc). Took it to the track once at Buttonwillow and it was fun, but minimal drama. Day to day there was very little drama aside from cold-start and an occasional throttle mash.

I've gone through a lot of cars from F80 M3 (6MT and DCT), Boxster 718S (PDK), '17 Camaro SS 1LE (6MT), Audi S3. I've found that what I really like in a car is DRAMA. Noise, flickability, loose but controllable rear end on demand, speed, ability to be tracked with confidence. The M5 CP seems like a wonderful car, but I am a little concerned about how much drama is there. 718S drove GREAT but lacked drama due to its sound and power delivery being so linear. M6 was kind of the same story, probably more drama than the 718S but still didn't quite kick me in the pants.

Maybe this new M5 Competition has a little extra spice? I know it looks muted (which I can totally get into), but how is the driving experience? Do you find it dramatic or do you enjoy it because its smooth and more grown up than something loud and shouty/dramatic?

I'll be test driving one shortly but would like to hear what people think about the car after putting some real time/miles in the driver's seat and after the honeymoon phase has worn off. I'm comparing the M5 with the new M3, 911 (test-fit the kids the other day, it would work in a pinch but not for a road trip), or possibly a new 'Vette, Zl1 1LE, or GT350.

appreciate any feedback
If you are looking for drama, the F90 M5C is not the car to get. Being All wheel drive and comparing it to the M6GC U had, the F90 M5C will have way less drama. Why not an exotic like the 488, 812Superfast and/or Mclaren?