View Single Post
      02-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #66
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor
Turbo (x2) is a stupid stupid idea for only 300HP. Even Audi abandonned it. They just had to throw in the "old tech" M3 engine and they would got... 333HP. In the end, these double-turbo engines takes as much fuel as larger engines and they would have been better with a larger displacement at the beginning. I owned 2 turbo cars. Harder to resell at high mileage, too.

Crazy move from BMW.

I do not say this lightly, but there are some very ignorant people here on these boards.

Let me explain,

BMW is a premiere engine building in the world. The N54 has been in development for 3 years, it's a completely new design that offers a brand new fuel delivery and an impressive Forced Induction system.

A 3.0 liter I-6 with approx 4psi of boost putting out 306hp and 296 ft/lbs or torque is excellent. The engine is very light, it more fuel efficient than the previous engine and maintains it's smooth idle and silky smooth acceleration characteristics.

Turbo's have many benifits with very few downfalls. The BMW's design of Bi-Turbo allows for lag free spool-up of the turbos and 296ft/lbs of torque at 1500 - 5800rpms ...!!

That means the 335ci will have more TORQUE just above idle than you have max in the 2005 M3 ..!

BMW builds MACHINES, not cars... everything works together, completly and it's fully refined. Thus, they will couple this new engine (N54) with a properly designed tranny.

How someone cannot dicern the differences between this and the Lexus V6 is beyond me. The N54 is superior in every aspect.

My guess is that it's alot lighter, more fuel efficient. Has more HP and Torque, better reponse and way smoother. We will have to wait, but the lexus offers nothing in terms of technology.

My 1999 Covette coupe had 345 horsepower from a V8. The BMW 335 will have 306 horsepower and weigh about the same. It will roughly have about the same amount of torque from 1500-4000rpms ...! After that the Inline-6 can't keep up with the big V8's Cubic inches.

NOW... BMW is making this car for the street and it is not a SPORTS car. Thus they are only config the engine with a small amount of boost. I highly doubt BMW is dumb and have no clue what they are doing as many in this thread has suggested. There will undoubtedly be overhead built into this engine.

Increase in boost (possibly software) = increase in HP/tq.

But BMW does not need more than 310hp for the normal 3 series (non M) they are FAST as it is. This car will be a demon !!
Appreciate 0