View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #99
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

the duration of warming up depends on the temperatures for me but i believe waiting a little is good for every engine.. in hot summer days a 50-60secs will be enough.. in really cold ukraine winter i do wait 2mins at least.. and in super cold winter days i never turn off the engine when its super hot.. like pushing it for a while before reaching the destination.. i believe its not good also.. driving calmly in last 3-4 mins before i arrive..

if more than 12 hours past i do wait at least rev goes down.. for my current ride i press M button and wait till exhaust flaps open on its own.. then i go.. driving progressively higher revs till oil reaches optimal levels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
No need to idle for minutes on end. You want oil pumped back to the top of the engine which occurs in the first few seconds of running, then take it easy on the gas until there's temp in the coolant AND in the oil.
below -10c things are not like that cause viscosity changes also.. thicker oil cant reach every part of the engine %100 for a while.. actually cold start behaviors is affecting a lot for engine's lifespan.. not even talking about turbos..
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05526.50