View Single Post
      12-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #15
OrlandoVol
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, '10 335i, '13 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
"Tweaked" is probably the best descripter as its still manipulating the same 2 sensors. Only so many things you can do after all with limited points of manipulation. Tune has been adjusted to our specifications, tested and validated in house however to answer your question. Would not be able to go into specifics as far as the direct differences but lets just say the mapping has been modified to meet the demands in reliability and safety a Dinan customer has been groomed to expect.

Have full conidence in DINANTRONICS X but for warranty there is a great deal of difference between a flash and a piggyback in terms of control which in turn limits how much variance can occur before problems/issues may occur. With a piggyback you are playing within the factory given tolerances. On the surface this is great and follows in line with "factory safeguards remain intact" but the big issue is not all cars are created equal and 1 car may be safely nestled in the middle of an acceptable tolerance window and another may be within the tolerance window but at an extreme edge of it. What happens in the case of the latter is anything added to the system will cause a CEL/code. At that juncture its a warranty claim to be paid upon. Nothing is necesarily wrong with the tune/piggyback its just the car is more sensitive is all but it still causes an issue that needs to be rectified. Sure, you can program the devices to be less aggressive and therefore more acceptable to more factors of that tolerance window but then the gains suffer and you wouldnt sell any to begin with. So-- its a bit of a game to figure out where that sweet spot is. On the other hand with a flash tune those tolerance windows can be adjusted or the value being manipulated be brought in line to begin with (more control) so the tolerance window nearly becomes an irrelevent factor. You just need to know the limits of the hardware itself and adjust accordingly. This results in far less frivolous claims and those that do occur can be more easily rectifed given the full ability to tweak as needed rather then just manipulating a few sensors.

Then theres the cost itself --- Having a factory matching warranty would also make the device much more expensive then the current listing (at least 4x) which makes the product a completely different animal. And to be honest we wouldnt to keep the piggyback stuff going forward more in line with being an alternative entry level option on par with the non-warranty flash tune (when released).
Thank you for the detailed response it is much appreciated… I installed it this morning in about 15 minutes, no issues/errors whatsoever… Took it for a test drive in the default map five and can definitely feel a difference.

The car feels almost exactly the same as it did before which is great, can definitely feel more power in the mid range and top end, yet driving around in traffic feels totally stock which is pretty impressive.

I have heard that it “takes some time” for the gains to be fully realized, and I assume that this due to the ECU “adjusting” to the new boost levels? Adjusting timing/fuel curves?
Appreciate 0