Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano17 View Post
Thanks…no lien. I think I can figure it out. Doesn’t seem that complicated. I’ll chance the 3 mile drive to DMV without registration.
It gets tricky. I got the M5 fever in 2019. Local Portland dealerships weren't that helpful, even the one that I had done 6 deals with. Found the car in San Diego. I learned that if buy it and you drive it off the dealership - BaM! sales tax due, very painful for us Oregon buyers. So I looked into having my dealership make a play for it, to no avail. SD was offering 9k off MSRP. However, if you lease it, no problem with the tax, there is none. But I wanted to buy because it was going to be my forever car (yeah, right).

So, I checked into shipping, flew down on Alaska for 6 bucks (miles) one Sunday morning, to test drive it and buy it. BMW was also running a $5,000 lease incentive at the time (so now there is $14,000 coming off MSRP) and by the time my 2 hour flight was over I had worked out the approx. lease numbers in my head and decided to lease it and drive it home up the glorious PCH. They gave me a temporary sticker. I was home the next day, ready for 1200 mile break-in service and then just got an Oregon temporary sticker until the plates came.

If you are worried about driving your car without the sticker, why can't you just take another car to the DMV to get it. They are probably not going to come out and look at it anyway.

BTW, the M5 was gone in 17 months - some forever car.

As a side note, my dream is to to do a PCD if we get an X5 for the wife next time and then hit Nova Scotia before heading back to Portland.
Appreciate 0