View Single Post
      08-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #64
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have my old tank and it looks like the sensor is molded into the plastic tank. I have not fully explored whether the guts could be extracted from the molded plastic. Someone could measure the resistance of the sensor at a few points and try to compare to a removeable sensor for use in a custom tank. Probably BMW's sensor is not unique to this car in terms of resistance, but I am not sure.

This link probably won't work but realoem does not show a separate sensor. Looks like it is part of the tank.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_1194

F10 M5 tank has separate sensor. Obviously tank levels differ. Maybe it is just an in/off switch and that is all you need for a custom tank. If low, a ground is broken and a warning light goes off. Or maybe it is much more complicated and a signal goes to the ECU to pull timing, limit power, etc. Worth researching that.
I wonder if the sensor is pressed into the port? I think the chances are high the sensor is installed after the tank is molded and assembled/glued together. It may not be removable, but perhaps BMW sells the sensor separately.
Appreciate 0