United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
2015 Audi S4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Carvana and Carmax have been paying near-retail for nice used cars for the past several years. The bloom my be off that rose now, but certainly worth a try and will give you a baseline if you try to sell it yourself.

If you've ever felt you were being scammed as a buyer, just wait until you try being the seller!
They might be better for something like OP's car, but Carmax and Carvana are very hit-and-miss as far as values go.

When I bought my M4 in April, I had a 2015 S4 I wanted to trade. The dealer I bought the M4 from was out of state, and told me they didn't accept trades from out of state. So I got values from Carmax and Carvana to see if I could unload my S4 quickly and painlessly.

Carmax offered me something like $14,500 and I Carvana was $16,850. Both insanely light. I work for a dealer, so I know how the game goes, but it was a $20k - $21k car on trade pretty easily.

I posted it for sale on my IG story and had a deposit on it the same day for an agreed upon $25k sale, and had contingent offers at $26k and $26.5k all from private party buyers. $25k guy ended up coming through and picked the car up about a week later.

tl;dr Carmax / Carvana can really miss the mark on some cars, and seem to pay through the nose on others.
Appreciate 3