View Single Post
      06-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Parking Issue & Problems with Our Society

I live in New York City and pay to park my car in a garage next to my apartment building. As with most people who park in a Manhattan Garage and do not use there car every day, I am aware that in order to have my car brought down, I need to call either the night before or an hour in advance. Normally I have no problems, but lately the staff has turned over a little bit…

This morning I walked into my garage at 630am. I tell this guy (some punk, mid 20's) that I need my car at 830 am. He says "No problem" and I head to the gym. At 830 I walk into the garage and don't see my car. I see the same guy from 2 hours earlier:

"Hello, where is my car?"
"I don't know"
"Well, it should be downstairs"
"Sir, you have to tell us one hour in advance"
"I told you 2 hours in advance. I walked in and told you. Did I give you TOO MUCH notice?"
"Who did you tell?"
"I told you. You don't recall any of this?"
"No. What kind of car is it?"
"It's a black BMW"
"When you called who did you speak to"
"Are you serious?"
"Sir, I’m just trying to help. We are short staffed"
"Fine, just get my car, please, I'm late for work"

I'm sweating.

5 minutes pass. I see several cars. I don't see mine.

"Ummm...how much longer would you say we are looking at here?"
"I don't know"
"Who should I ask?!?!?"
"I'm working on it"
"If you were working on it, you'd be upstairs trying to find my car"
"Sir, you need to realize, it's not just you. You aren't the only customer. Next time, I’d recommend calling in advance. “
“Are you serious???!?!!!?

From the neck up, I’m drenched.

Finally, after 3 more minutes of not seeing my car...

"Seriously now!!!...I need to get to work, I’m late!!! WHERE IS THE CAR???"
"Calm down sir. Please"
"I'm sorry, I just don't understand why I am paying you $400 per month for this..."
"Well, you don't pay "ME" $400 every month"???

That comment floored me. I wish there was a camera in there because I know I have the same exact look on my face as I stare at this guy that Tony Soprano has when he listens to AJ go on his rants.

At this point I look like Patrick Ewing in Overtime. I seriously consider going back to the apartment to shower again.

At that point, another guy working there yells over to the attendant and tells him to "sh-t the f-ck up". They start jawing at each other in another language.

Finally, after another 10 minutes, the car finally appears. I lay out a towel on the seat because I don't want to sweat through to the leather. Nice start to the day.

No matter what I do...all day...I cannot get that comment out of my head...

"Well, you don't pay "ME" $400 every month"???...It’s just a perfect example of what’s wrong with our society.

Now…I know, if I see this guy in the future I am going to want to kill him. I also know that he'd love nothing more than to key my brand new car. I'm unsure if I should even go back to the garage tonight. I am contemplating finding a new garage.

Any advice?!?!?
Appreciate 0