07-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #20
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I think you're missing the point. Just because the M3 doesn't share it's engine with any other 3 series in it's line-up does not make it a better choice and is not a good reason at all. Yes, if you plan to mod your car the 135i would be a better choice with a few mods. I'm sure the 1M will have more advanced technology than a 135i with a tune though.

The N54 engine itself has been worthy of an M badge since it's introduction to the market. If BMW decided to use the N54 tuned to 400hp instead of the S65 in it's current gen M3 they could have done so and it would have been perfectly acceptable. There will always be the FI haters but this is the trend now, I imagine all future M cars will be FI.

Also, the OP said that they drive 99% in the city. That's the beauty of having an engine with plenty of torque down low. The argument between NA and FI is never-ending but these new FI engines BMW are coming out with are ideal for everyday use especially around town and in the city. The torque is very useable and you don't need to ring out the rpm band to feel all of it's power. The M3 on the hand is extremely docile around town but a beast in the higher rpm which is ideal for the track.

I'd say go with the 1M because:
1. It'll probably cost around the same as a 2nd hand M3, and I'd take the newer car.
2. It's smaller which is what you like about your current 1 series.
3. It will be more exclusive because it's very new.
4. It will suit your driving style and requirements.
Well said. But like I said I understand all that it all depends on expectations. I got other cars to DD so the M3 will be a fun car. With the 135 it was just an other torque monster amazing daily driver. If I had to buy a DD then the M3 wouldn't be it...it would be a 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0