View Single Post
      01-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Here’s a true and recent story that illustrates the importance of using a realtor (or good RE attorney), and getting an inspection.

Couple bought their first house summer 2020. Used a realtor and had it inspected. In December a large crack opened up running across a wall, above a fireplace, around a corner into a bedroom. Immediately suspected settling (house is 15 years old) or structural flaws. Home inspector prior to purchase had been under the house (crawl space ) and all was in order then, per his report.
Hired a structural engineer to evaluate. Again confirmed sound structure, but also showed them where that crack was pre-existing and had recently been patched and painted. Sellers left the paint in the garage, and paint store label had a date, which was not much before the house was listed for sale. In other words, seller clearly knew about the crack and did not disclose it on the Sellers’ Disclosure.
Couple now is working with their realtor to get all inspection and repair costs reimbursed by seller. Had they not used a realtor, they might not have received the Seller’s Disclosure, would be working with seller’s agent and likely getting a lot less cooperation. Had they not gotten an inspection they might have to argue about whether the crack was visible and should have been known to the buyer (obvious, accepted defect). Likely they will get the crack properly repaired and paid for.

I really don’t like home inspectors myself because they have always missed many things (I’m on my 10th house), but the few things they do catch can be helpful. I’m also knowledgeable enough to do my own inspections, but even so I pay the few hundred because it usually is worth a few thousand in negotiating a reduced price.

To find an inspector, do some Googling (or Duck Duck Going?). Ask your realtor, they usually have a list, but often there is a financial relationship between realtors and inspectors, so do some reference checking, etc. These things, and the underlying rules, vary from state to state, so ask around a bit locally.
Appreciate 0