View Single Post
      05-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #35
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Hi. when you looked at the underside, was it completely faired-in with panels to create a flat bottom in order to create maximum downforce like in the Giulia QV or Ferraris, or was it a normal bottom?
Only had a quick peek underneath (with security closely looking what the heck I was doing) and managed to locate the Limited Slip Differential despite the darkness underneath. Looked like a 'normal bottom' - no Ferrari aerodynamics underside. The one-piece sports seats: fair enough, but the CFRP double-bubble roof and rear three-fin diffusor (though no CFRP) was a surprise - to my eyes even a bit overkill for an M5. But I guess BMW may reply with the "form follows function" answer + refer to the massive power and torque figures.

Name:  Ferrari_Enzo_Underside.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  116.6 KB
Quote:
Hi. Was the side vent like my render? I've done this render a while ago so based on your description it is smaller?
Actually, it was rather compact - not chunky or long. Certainly not the air breathers or side gills design of the F10 M5, G30 5er, X5M, X6M, M2 or M6. It rather reminded me of the compact M3/M4 design. But there's a catch: my mind keeps playing tricks as I got a vague recollection - which may be totally wrong - that the horizontal stripe briefly crosses (pinches through) the diagonal stripe. Thus rather an X-shape than a V-shape or T- shape. As if the design team decided to mix the side gill designs of both the M3/M4 and the 1M: start with the M3/M4 side gill, but use the horizontal stripe of the 1M side gill to get an X-shape as final result (but keep the compact diagonal line of the M3/M4 side gills). Trivia: the 1M front fender areas suggesting side vents were originally intended to feature real functional vents; however BMW M couldn't get the fender sheet stamping molds accurate enough within the allotted time/budget; particularly the two fenders sides exactly mirroring each other in shape proved too hard to achieve with functional vents; hence, the 1M got a crease line, but no functional vents.

Quote:
I think in the real car the front center air intake will be a bit different from the CAD. It will curve down around the bottom intake slats and have in its center the radar for the adaptative cruise control as seen here on the latest prototype. Also the junction points between the front air intake and side intakes have been better blended and don't look as "sharp" as on the CAD...
Not sure what you mean exactly - maybe a side-by-side with arrows to explain ? The CAD renders show some depth/perspective, which could visually distort some angles. As commented before: striking similarity. I did notice the semi-circular safety device integrated inside the center intake honeycomb protection as well as a sensor between the kidneys. I did not look inside the low horizontal part sitting on the bottom of the center intake.

If we had been allowed to use our smartphones, we could have used the flash lamp to spot more details. Amazing how many details you can overlook or forget (for example, I don't know whether the seat belts are all-black or featured the M stripes (latest M design cue) - I guess all black). And there is also the excitement: where to look first.

Quote:
my render
Added two small details to the first post:
  • exhaust tips with a vertical cut à la 1M/M2/M6 - no diagonal cut à la M3/M4/X5M/X6M
  • typical discreet M Gurney flap on the trunk
The rear in the render shown below gets you a good idea of the vertical reflectors and diffusor (though I think that its three fins looked just a little bit more pronounced on the real car):

Last edited by Artemis; 05-25-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0