11-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Sounds like a pretty good dealership! That's a lot of shimming. I'll bet it sounds better!

I'm not surprised they didn't go for the rotor replacement if you've already had one done. (I take it there's been more than one, which is impressive BTW, this dealership has gone to bat for you.) BMW is pretty strict on warranty replacements, and two or more sets are going to raise some red flags at corporate.

As for the pulsation, well, it could be they're warped, although with floating rotors it's unlikely. More likely it's just uneven pad deposits, particularly if you got the brakes really hot which does a number on the pads which may be pretty well cooked. IIRC, if that happens, the pad just isn't the same and starts leaving more uneven deposits (I could be wrong on this). IDK, maybe try a few bedding procedure passes and see if that clears it up, or just bite the bullet and get better pads and bed those in well.

As for the BBK, if you're getting faster at the track, I'd just swap out the stock pads for something better. I've never run stock pads, started out with Stoptech Street performance (good up to "medium" use on the track). As I get faster I'll look at Hawk DTC-60s or something along that line. As The Hack and a few others have said, the stock rotors damn good, but the stock pads aren't really up to serious track work. Lots of threads already here on alternatives.

If you're interested in the Stoptechs, I'd look at this thread. If you're not wedded to the 6 pot fronts, you might be able to work a deal! But honestly, I'm not saying you need these.
^WHS
Pad deposit is the usual suspect.
It will often happen on track days if you aren't careful about cool down procedure.
Pad deposit usually happens just as you are coming to a stop with brakes applied (stationary hot rotor disc & the pad sticks)

FWIW my procedure is;
A cool down lap at a speed that I use zero brakes.
In the pits I don't use my brakes at all when coming to a stop.
I try to coast in as slow as possible & use the hand brake (with button held in) to come to a complete stop.
Just as I stop I shut it off in gear & release the hand brake.

re the Stoptechs, I have them & love them but would not have considered them if I wasn't planning to keep the car for a very long time.
That said, they are usually easy to resell, just keep your old brakes to put back on.

There are several threads posted here on the + & - of BBKs
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0