Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
The M community wants each new generation to be faster than the last. We can all agree on that.
I think there's two M communities at play here. The poser centric that wants more power all the time which they barely use and shocking/alienating looks. Then the other side that want reasonable power, great handling and classy yet aggressive looks.

Quote:
The F chassis cars were at the limit of control with 2-wheel drive when it came to launching. We can agree on that hopefully?
The F cars were at the edge of RWD traction. So how about M focus on making the car lighter while having slight increase in hp/tq and then focus on making the handling/chassis weight balance even better? That is a much more attractive formula than adding a glob more power and add AWD.

Quote:
Therefore, all-wheel drive was inevitable. Hand-to-god, the F90 is the best overall M car I've ever driven, and that breaks just about my every classic M rule.
AWD is not inevitable, it's just the easy and mundane route.
I've also driven the F90 and along with most other people's review, it was more dead and muted comparing to the F10 which was already worse than the E60. Fast in a straight line sure, everything else, you wouldn't even know it's an M car.

If you think that is the best M car you've ever driven, I believe you and some of us have a very different idea of what an M car is supposed to be.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Do I think the new generation is good looking? Not really, but you can't fault them for trying something different.

As for weight goes...what would you have them do? They are handed cars from BMW that already have a Lot of weight.

Light weight is better. Don't buy a sport sedan with a back seat then. But you can't compare an E car with an F or G, it's a different world with different expectations.

As for AWD being inevitable, these cars are going electric soon. I'd just get used to it.

I drove the F90 on track and loved it. I don't think I'm a poser, but who knows.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2020/0...-bmw-m-school/