02-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #25
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
30km test drive with mix of normal road and mountain roads famous for hillclimbs near Arashiyama. ZFat does an excellent job when left in auto, but hesitates on manual shifts when pushed a bit. It did not want to downshift when I braked hard into a hairpin and dropped down to 2nd around 4,500 rpm even though there should have been plenty room. Thought it might be problem with the setting so I tried to raise it to three bars only to see it already on three I got tired of trying to get better out of Zfat and left it on auto most of the time and I've never done that in an M.

We own an E43(had 13' XFR as well), most likely slower shifting than E63S and I still prefer the shift feeling over ZFat which provides very little drama and fake head bang on upshifts(no actual impact but noise is there. You know what I mean).

I myself am a keen track driver but Tsuchiya describes best of how I felt driving M5 (soft damping yet very snappy at the limit unlike older Exx generations). Also refuses to downshift fast while braking at 5:50 and 6:45 after about 3 laps. Given, the transmission was in first bar but it downshifted faster before if you roll back a bit.

I just think that ZFat is not really suited for dedicated track driving thus unfit for the future M3. If it were, we would see a lot more M140i/M235i's running but we just don't. I go to Suzuka/Okayama with E92 DCTs but I have yet to see one reporting tranny overheating, although one reported a mild loss of shift speed after 10 laps at Okayama. Meanwhile the M235i's...

Meanwhile I agree F90 M5 suspension is much more compliant on road even in sport plus mode and I liked it. I just wished it has a sharp transmission response like DCT or even E63S.

M stands for motorsport and I want to see M division enforcing and teaching some characters to owners whether they like it or not, just like they used to.
Thanks for the great response!

I think this comes down to 'different strokes for different folks'. While I do 'race' my cars, the only bend I find is the U-turn at the end of the dragstrip--the steering wheel and paddles are mostly optional .

I've found that the ZF struggles shifting down during lateral Gs but never under hard braking or the like. If I had the car right now, I'd go take a video and post it but, alas, I do not.

Of my E63S, I can confidently say that that car has one of the fastest 1-2 shifts I've ever experienced... but it's an inconsistent pig most everywhere else... unless it wants to be smooth at that particular point; its inconsistency drives me nuts.
Appreciate 0