01-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #195
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I would not bet the farm on that continuing. Mercedes is know to have a 3L FI engine in development, and rumors suggest it will replace the 3.5L N/A. All other engine configurations (V12, V8, I4) are nearly exclusively turbo at this point (there are still a couple exceptions yes).

VAG contines to scale back the use of both their narrow angle and 90 degre V6, especially in Audi and VW models. The I5 obviously still has a place, but who knows for how long. Turbo 4L V8 is coming and will almost surely spell the end of the N/A 4.2L V8 and 5.2L V10 engines, and they are reportedly going to adopt the turbo W12 for the A8 also. The N/A engines might live in on the R8, but maybe not.
The next R8 may continue having a NA engine as top model, and a FI engine as entry model. I would say a ~ 450 HP V6. Why still keep a NA V10, simply because the coming Aventador will still get a NA V12, and so may the next Gallardo (Sessto Elemento) continue keeping its NA V10. And about the SLS AMG, I do not think the NA 6.3l V8 will be replaced by the BT 5.5l V8. I hope the Z8/Z10 will then also get the NA 5.5l V10 that was developped for the M5 F10.
Appreciate 0