Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
One other factor that may be of concern to some has been mentioned. That is that CCB rotors are fragile. If you plan to swap wheels yourself on even an occasional basis, this may be relevant.

In my experience, the stock wheels and even my lighter aftermarket wheels with tires mounted are quite heavy and unwieldy. As a result, there is significant risk of a wheel slipping and hitting the rotor when changing wheels. With steel rotors, no problem. With CCBs, such a slip could easily chip the rotor at a cost of $4K to replace.

You can reduce this risk somewhat by using the wheel mounting rods that thread into the wheel bolt holes. However, even with these, there is still some risk.
What most people don't know or fail to realize, there's actually a metal heat/dust shield that goes behind the CCB rotors and it has a slight lip on it that actually covers the top of the CCB rotor just slightly.

Ask me how I know. I was changing my track wheels, and a wheel slipped just a bit and it hit the metal shield instead of the rotor. I don't know if it slipped enough to do any damage, but it hit the shield anyway.
Appreciate 0