View Single Post
      03-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
wagz0627
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Gran Coupe

I'll try my best at a review, but bad traffic on I-95 both ways to and from work yesterday hampered my ability to get a decent feel for the car. In the afternoon it was on to photos and then playing with the EQ for the Harmon sound system.

The 8 speed auto is quite nice. I've driven only in Comfort mode so far (mainly because I forgot about Sport mode for some reason). I will say that in Comfort mode it felt like there was a bit of lag or unresponsiveness in first gear when accelerating from a stop. At second gear and on acceleration was swift and immediate when hitting the pedal. I'll have to try Sport Mode this afternoon and see if there's an appreciable difference. I only used DS once as well during my "test drive" when I picked it up from the dealer. I'm still getting used to the odd (to me) way the transmission knob works and the triple turn signals.

I had the Auto Stop/Start off most of the time, but decided to try it out a couple miles from yesterday. Only experienced it twice, but both times it worked flawlessly and the engine was ready before my foot moved from the brake to the gas. The whole car does shake a bit though during shutdown and startup.

I plugged my iPhone in to the car through an Apple cable (I have Nav and BMW assist so that works for me) and cranked some classic rock on way home from work yesterday. At that point, I hadn't touched the EQ for the Harmon system yet, only bumped the Treble up, and bass down a hair. Even then I was blown away by the sound quality (320kbps MP3s ripped from high fidelity remaster CDs of my favorite artist). Every instrument was clear and distinct amongst all the others at the same time, and once I thought the singer in a song was istting in the car with me! I'll have to give the new EQ settings a good workout this afternoon, but I liked what I heard briefly before finishing up. I switched back to FM before I shut the car off and even my standard FM radio station sounded much better than I'm used to.

Heads up display is really fun to have. Speedometer text is white during day, and red at night. I found I hardly looked at the dash at all, except to check the clock on the instrument panel. There is a rotary knob/button on the steering wheel that allows you to scroll through various entertainment lists depending on what mode you are on. If you're in the preset radio stations list on the idrive, then it scrolls through your presets. If you're just on the FM radio, it allows to go through a list of all FM stations as opposed to scanning. While my iPhone was connected it went through the entire playlist that was currently playing. I only played my iPhone through a playlist so far, but I assume if you search by artist etc, then I assume that context list would change appropriately.

I like the standard seats just fine, but like I said before they're a huge improvement over the seats in my Malibu (I actually have a headrest that is functional now and positioned correctly!). I've sat in the sport seats in a co-worker's 2011 328i and a friend's M3, and they definitely had more support, but I have no major complaints with the standard seats so far.

I hope that was a helpful review. If anyone else wants to know anything specific let me know.

Carbon Black/Dakota Black, Aluminum Hexagon, High-Gloss Black Accent, Leather Dash/18" Style 400M Rims
Cold Weather, DHP, Lighting Package, Tech Package, Driver Assistance, Premium, HK Sound
Appreciate 0