Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Thomas daily drives and e46 m3. Yes the m5 or any modern BMW with electric steering is going to feel numb compared to that.
Well yes, but he's also driven the entire class of cars, as well as hundreds of new cars with EPS. He mentioned in the video even compared to its competitors (E63, RS6) that the steering was lacking, he's not comparing it to hydraulic vehicles but also other EPS vehicles within the class.
I agree. BMW does not do EPS well.
Or they intentionally tune it that way? Thomas also liked M2CS steering and look at what Supra did with the same hardware.
Most of the models are intentionally numb, like your cookie cutter 3-series or X3 that they'll lease to soccer moms or people who don't care about driving. However the M cars, which are designed for enthusiasts, in my opinion deserve a better steering tune. Even the best steering, which is in the M2 (at the moment, haven't tried the CS) is still sadly numb.

Part of the reason Thomas liked the CS steering was also because of the more natural weighting, however they never actually stated it to be communicative. BMW has had trouble over the years with both communication and weighting with their EPS, example: sport steering settings would add unnecessarily synthetic heft to the wheel with no additional feedback.

I believe BMW uses ZF steering racks. Cadillac also uses these racks in the prior generation ATS-V and they are on the other end of the spectrum with great feedback and weighting. Its all down to the tuning I believe.

This is a great article from C/D which explains BMW's EPS steering design. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...steering-feel/
Great article and disturbing at the same time. C&D had to explain, by giving examples, what great feedback is in a car with EPS. Basically the Porsche lineup. Most buyer, not on this forum, want LESS steering effort and "feel". I'm over here wanting the complete opposite. Ha!
I imagine there will be a time you will be able to alter the steering to your liking far more than you can now.