View Single Post
      06-02-2023, 08:43 PM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I researched the various options and thought the CR Racing would provide the best oil cooler protection, followed by the Fall Line if mesh was added. I put the Turner in 3rd place, even with mesh, because it is aluminum and the others are stronger stainless. The Zunsport screen is in a distant 4th place, since it is just a screen with no structure.

The Turner looked the best, required no cutting or adding rivet nuts, and was the easiest to install. I bought one and it does look good. I ordered stainless mesh but it has not arrived yet. I would say the oil cooler protection is limited, even with mesh. The aluminum guard structure is simply so close to the oil cooler that it will bend up into the cooler if you run over a large object like a cinder block. And aluminum is not strong enough to protect against that.

On the other hand, nothing should be expected to protected against a large hard object. There is still some benefit but I think the Turner is not the best oil cooler protector. It has some other advantages — over time plastic belly pans get ripped up and crack, and the Turner replaces all of that if you order the side pieces like I did. I keep cars for 100k plus miles and the belly pans are a mess by then.

I am considering installing the mesh on the bottom rather than the top given the zero clearance at the rear of the cooler. Plus, if installed below, it would be harder to push through the 3 straps and into the cooler.
Appreciate 0