View Single Post
      05-07-2023, 07:16 AM   #8
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If I drove 50k per year in my M5 and ran over crap all the time that hit the bottom of the car, I would probably invest in one of the oil cooler guards and screen kits for the other coolers. I’d probably add those parts even if I did not run over stuff all the time — that is a lot of miles and with all those miles, all risks go up.

BMW did not allow a design flaw. It has teams of engineers and does plenty of pre-production durability testing. The oil cooler has been mounted flat under the front bumper cover under tray since the F10 M5.

If there was a design flaw, there would have been a lot of problems over the years. I have not followed F10 M5 closely, but don’t recall reading of problems. I have followed F90 M5 closely and recall about 2 instances of oil cooler damage. There are probably more since not all owner are members here, but not enough to call the location a design flaw.

There is also no other place to put the oil cooler. The front has a radiator and condenser and the sides also have coolers. All of those can also be damaged in accidents or by road debris. I have read reports of AC condensers and intercooler radiators being ruined by debris.

If you do run over something or are hit by debris, stop and inspect your car. If it is leaking oil, don’t drive it. If it is not leaking, inspect closely when you get home or take it somewhere for inspection.
Fair enough. I actually would rather spend $1000 on something more fun than a skid plate.

So you are saying you don’t recommend it nor would you invest in it?
Appreciate 0