ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
OK who’s doing this and why? Our friend James from What’s Your Forte put one on his F 90 and recommends it. Showing you how ignorant I am but I didn’t know the oil cooler was so exposed to foreign debris going underneath the car. But this car has been out a long time and I know you guys will let me know whether this is really something important to get or not. Keep in mind. I also have the factory carbon fiber front lip. I’m not sure if that will affect the installation of this or not. Really looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks and if they’ve installed this.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...e-skid-plates/
I can only remember one forum member here having damage, here is the thread. I think the situation and location is somewhat precarious, but I don’t recall seeing another situation where this happened. That of course is not to say that it doesn’t happen more often, we just may not know of its prevalence. A couple of other members have gone this route. Here is the product thread from IND-Distribution.

I’m personally not sinking this (unrecoupable by me) money into a leased car, but if I owned this car long term, I’d likely do it. The oil cooler is not the only extremely exposed part that have caused owners issues (I’m looking at you, radiator), though it is the one that could cause near immediate catastrophic engine failure depending on how bad the strike against it would be and how much oil leaks. It’s theoretically possible you could have all your oil drained in a minute with a significant enough strike/puncture/damage.