04-05-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
Thanks Charles for the well thought out reply - it was exactly what I was looking for. I may stick with the PSS for the end of the year. I only plan on doing another 2 day event towards the end of October. I did change my stock brakes to Hawk pads and stainless steel lines with DOT 4 fluid and it certainly felt better than being totally stock but I went ahead and ordered the full M Performance BBK and will use Hawk street pads on them for the street and next HPDE I plan on buying separate rotors and track only pads just for HPDE events up there.

Your comment about upgrading if I stop having fun was the wake up call I needed. I'm still having a freaking blast and I think better brakes will alow me to brake later and have just as much fun. Thanks again.
You're welcome, and I would definitely just stick with the PSS based on what you said. I had more fun with those than the BFG R1.

Something else about the BFG R1 is that it's a lot harder on the car, especially the suspension, and you, the driver, due to the higher loads generated. Realistically they would be paired with race dampers/springs and bucket seats.

PSS tend to get a little greasy towards the end of a session, but for me that always happened like 15 min in when it was almost time to end the session anyway. If they get too hot what I did was just go around the track one lap at 3/4 normal pace, they would cool off (and so would the brakes).

Something to look into is your alignment. Watch the sidewall on your PSS. If you see the wear creeping up on there (look for the Michelin man), that means the tires are rolling onto their sidewall too much. You can add negative camber to reduce that, the tires will last longer, and provide better grip. I'm not sure how much camber you can get out of the F3X chassis. -1.5 degrees or so would be ideal, and wouldn't add much wear on the street.
Also check your tire pressures at the end of a session. The tire pressures on the driver door will likely be a few PSI too high for track use, as the tires will obviously heat up out there. If they go over 39 PSI, let some air out. I found 29-30 PSI all around was a good cold starting point for the track. Your grip will not be as good with too high of PSI.
Last, I would swap wheels left to right halfway through the day, you can do that since the PSS is non-directional. One of the great things about that tire. This will further even the wear.
(Apologies in advance if you were already doing some of that.)

Charles
saaltonen105.00
ApexWheels1426.50