Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Just curious, but what is the hype behind the modern 911 turbo's? Other than quick acceleration and the whale tale, I always find myself liking the Carrera S, GTS or T more, but I'm also someone who doesn't put an emphasis on 0-60 times so that could be why.

The 992 Carrera S is putting out 2.9 seconds to 60 (w/ 1ft rollout) in magazines like Car and Driver, so realistically around 3.1 seconds, and this was in both the cabriolet and hardtop with RWD, and both with a lighter curb weight than the Turbo (and no manual for the Turbo now) so what are some reasons (other than acceleration) to go for the Turbo? Just generally curious here.
Have you ever launched a car over and over and over and repeatedly hit sub 2.6's with no mods? (and 4 tenths or more in a 60 romp gap is huge) And then you were able to turn and carve and cut thru the canyons and big bends at speeds faster with more confidence than in other cars? All while having an amazing chassis flex that combines brilliant damper and spring correlation? The Turbo S is the decathlete of cars IMHO. Yes it lacks some sound and the naysayers call it numb and others say its diluted but to me is the every day ass kicker and even a bonafide pussy would take a Turbo S to the mall/bank/grocery store. Its my Home Depot of cars- it has everything from tools to toilets to pizza (Home Depot has great pizza). The Turbo S isnt the best at everything everytime but it sure is close in alot of segments thus my decathlete connotation.
I'm sure its impressive, but if I can get low 3's in the regular Carrera's its already impressive enough for me, but then again, I value handling and engagement over 0-60 times, and others may value those aspects differently. I would just rather take a Carrera S with a manual and lower weight (I believe the turbo adds ~200-300lbs) and still get a good 0-60 time of around ~3 seconds. I don't know if this makes sense, but the faster these cars get, the "easier" they feel to drive, almost a little too easy. Like I've driven some cars where they get 0-60 in the high 2's to low 3's and while its fun at first I find it gets boring after a while, but again, thats just because I don't value 0-60 as a high margin for my purchases, which is also a reason I will likely be getting a Boxster 4.0 next year.