View Single Post
      07-18-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
MSchfiftyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

General comparisons between the RS7 and M5 for anyone wondering or cross shopping, after putting ~250 miles on the M5 so far.
  • Engine

I'm still very much in the break in period with the M5, so I've only given it a few romps with the engine in S+ while keeping it well below redline - even still, this thing just GOES. The RS never felt like a slouch, and whether it's transmission gearing or tuning, the RS actually felt like it had more veerry light throttle, low end torque...but outside of that, every other scenario goes to the M5. The RS just didn't have rolling "pin you to your seat" speed unless you floored it and dropped to the lowest gear... in the M I love that I can dip 1/4 into the throttle and still get that crazy pinned back response, I can't wait to really get on it once I finish the break in, but I can already tell it's much beastly.

• Transmission

They rock the same 8 speed ZF and yet as many have said, it's just tuned better in the M5. After owning A, S, and finally RS model Audi's using this same basic transmission, the RS was the only one that felt like it had the response you wanted, but even then only in manual mode. I like the M's (and BMW in general) three transmission steps in both Drive and Sequential compared to the Audi's Drive or Sport setup with no further adjustment, and D3 drives like I wish Sport would have in the RS, both hanging onto gears AND upshifting when you want it to better. I haven't had a redline adventure yet so I can't speak to that, but I'm guessing a launch control run in S3 is going to be fun.

• Exhaust

Surprisingly this is a bit of a toss-up; the RS7 had the optional sport exhaust, as does the M5, and the RS7 sounded better on startup, it "barked" like a V8 should on every start. Additionally, at full throttle wail, the RS just had that grumbly, screaming tone to it that was very much the sound of a V8, there was no mistaking it for anything other than an angry V8.

The M5 on the other hand, startup to me sounds more like my V6T S5 did, just a muffled turbo startup, which is surprising because in neutral, the M5 adds the exotic V8 burble you'd expect (something the RS did not have in neutral), so it's odd that cold start doesn't sound the same way. Active exhaust button that adds a deeper tone, pops and bangs? Absolute win. With that button enabled it also overrun burbles, pops and bangs more than the RS did in its sportiest mode, and it does give it a low frequency bassy tone that's nice... I just wish it had a bit more of the RS V8 wail. Always solvable w/ some exhaust upgrades!

• Handling

Again, limited experience, but I can speak to the RS7, and there was just no hiding that it was a boat. At 4900lbs it is significantly porkier than the 4300lb M5, and although the suspension did a solid job of covering it up, every hard apex on an empty back country road reminded you the weight was there. The M5 feels on another world of nimble comparatively, but I think the steering is also just much more direct, I like that tiny movements illicit immediate real road response, where as small adjustments in the RS were sort of removed or numbed away by the electronic steering. Neither steering setup did a great job of communicating road holding when at the limit, but I haven't pushed the M far enough yet.

I will say I miss the rear wheel steering of the RS7, it allowed for a smaller turning radius than just about anything I've owned, but the M5 is a smaller car in length and width, so the turning radius is still comparable.

• Exterior

Both great looking cars. The M5 looks great from every angle to me, the stock stance is killer, overall it's pretty car. The RS7 looked goofy from the rear quarter panel, the proportions were just a little off...from every other angle though it's a beast, it looks more exotic. I've never had more stares, complements, and people coming to talk about a car than I did in the RS7, so far, nobody really even notices the M5 (which is way more my style), but no denying the RS was a looker.

• Interior

Wildly similar. Both cars had very similar sticker prices; I LOVE the standard massaging seats are back in the M5, they made them optional as part of an over priced air filtration system in the RS that was just silly, and overall the M5 seats are better bolstered and more comfortable. Otherwise interior fit and finish is very close and excellent between the two (it should be, at this price), features about the same...the winner for me is the wireless Android Auto, it works very well, and was not available in the RS. Otherwise both are very well appointed and serene places to be! The M5's seats, performance of the updated v7 iDrive (even if it's a little sub-menu heavy), and wireless AA win it for me.

Looking forward to more miles and driving impressions as I get through the break-in, but overall I'm 110% sold on the M5 so far!

Last edited by MSchfiftyFive; 07-19-2021 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 10
Jamesmick131.00
Handful21.00
DHDCF282.00
jninja514.50
saveywil1230.50
shoe3k32.00
euro*1654.00
wesleyan921344.50