View Single Post
      05-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #60
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Chipping? Of course it's rendering the warranty void! Racechip adds ~20% torque, meaning that also the ZF8HP75 is overstressed 20% above max design specification. You would need a ZF8HP90 like used for a Bentley.

It's only a matter of time before you'll demolish the drive train. When you would go extensive stretches flat-out: mechanical engine failure because of stress and heat build up by the power is to be expected. When you accelerate full throttle in lowest 2 gears (short bursts), you'll ruin the transmission and potentially the drive shafts and diffs because of the torque.

Proof: they upped the power of the competition (a bit), but didn't touch the torque! Why do you think?
Sorry, but this is not correct.

The ZF8HP75 is rated 750 max gasoline torque per the manufacturer spec. A stock M5 is about 550 torque so 20% more is not even close to max spec.

Aside from that, common sense will tell you that the cars are not designed to run at max stress. There is plenty of room to add extra horsepower and torque without destroying the drivetrain.

Much more important is how you actually drive the car. After all, BMW will tell you that even a stock car can be damaged by repeatedly using launch control.

Your basic premise is of course correct, which is that as you add power it will add additional wear to some extent. But I imagine if we pulled apart a stock drivetrain driven hard at 100,000 miles it would look worse than a race chipped car driven reasonably at the same mileage.