View Single Post
      05-09-2023, 06:45 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Zunsport sells the wire mesh. It should deflect smaller objects and partially dissipate the impact with larger items. For smaller items, it may be better than the aluminum, sheetmetal or stainless skid plates that have large windows.

Run over a chunk of asphalt big enough to be dragged along under your car and tear open part of your plastic undertray, and I am not sure the cooler wound be saved. Maybe the impact would be deflected enough, maybe not. Maybe the chunk of asphalt has a point on it and rotates up and into one of the skid tray windows and into the cooler. Having a skid tray with mesh might help in that case.

Some say the cheapest skid plate, the Turner, is pretty thin. Have not inspected it in person. Thin can bend. Still some deflection value. Spreading the load of an impact often reduces the likelihood of puncture, unless the item is so sharp it punctures immediately.

I would still buy some version of this protection if I drove my M5 50k miles per year like the OP, especially since he drives in areas where he regularly runs over significant debris. For most of us, who drive closer to the average of 10k per year, the risk goes down significantly. Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance — some pay thousands for extended warranties but drive only a few thousand miles per year.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50