05-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
So as a college graduation gift to myself I want to get a nice watch and I really like the Omega Speedmaster.

Problem is, is that their are so many variants of the Speedmaster that I do not know where to start. My budget is $5000 or less and I was hoping some of the very knowledgeable people on this site could give me some help.

Thank you
Let me start by saying there is no such thing as a bad Speedy. In deciding which to get, you decision tree should align with what makes the most sense for your lifestyle.
  • Movement: Automatic, quartz or manual
    • Basically it comes down to whether you want to wind a watch regularly or not. I have grown so accustomed to not ever having to wind my daily wear watch that winding one when is (1) a pain in the ass, and (2) something I forget to do when I swap out for a manual watch and it doesn't happen to have run out of "juice" while I slept. As a result, I found myself walking around with a stopped watch. I suspect that if one starts out with manuals, one gets into the habit of keeping track of it and keeping it wound.
    • Co-axial escapement movements: They are just as important in the annals of watchmaking as is the manual one on the classic Speedys, perhaps a bit more so. If you just want a nice watch, I wouldn't factor this into the decision as it's only something that esoteric collectors will care about.
  • Size:
    • Diameter: 38 mm to 44.5 mm -- This is what it is. Any diameter up to 40mm is what would be considered "normal." 42mm teeters on large and above that is large. My advice: Go with something int he 38mm to 40mm range; that "big watch" fad will eventually pass.
    • Thickness: The co-axial automatic movement watches will be thicker. You'll just have to try one on with a long sleeved shirt and sport jacket to see how you feel about it. I personally prefer thinner to thicker.
  • Looks: Basic black/white or colorful
    • Take your pick.
Having said all that, the manual Speedy I'd suggest is the Alaska Project Speedmaster Professional. It has a cool look and it comes with two straps so you can vary the look. You can also buy a black strap for a different look again. (Available new here: http://www.swissluxury.com/omega-wat...2.42.30.04.001)

The Alaska Project watch is a manual. If you are keen for an automatic, I my suggestion is the Speedmaster '57 Omega Co-Axial Chronograph 41.5 mm (331.10.42.51.03.001), but I don't know that you can find it for $5K new, but perhaps pre-owned you could. For an automatic in your price range, I'd say the Speedmaster Chronograph 38mm (324.30.38.40.04.001) or the Speedmaster Date / Day-Date Chronograph 40 mm Date (323.30.40.40.06.001).

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0