View Single Post
      09-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Bustanut
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

DIY: Brake Light Pulser

Hi all,
New to the forum, been lurking for a while, picked up a 135i last week, thought this would be a good time to intro myslef and offer a quick DIY...

Brake light pulsers automatically pulse, or flash your 3rd brake light when you step on the brakes...

This makes your vehicle more noticeable to drivers behind you when you hit the brakes (every little bit counts!). I started putting these on my motorcycles years ago, and now also have them on my cars.

I installed the WebElectric BLP-1 pulser. This unit flashes the third brake light 3 times then stays on as long as your foot is on the brake. It has a 15 second delay, so that the brake light doesn't keep pulsing in stop and go traffic. Installation took about 15 minutes and it's an easy 3-wire hookup.

Now the DIY...

Here's what the unit looks like:

Start by removing the 8 push pins that hold the trunk liner in place...

Once the pins were out the liner literally dropped out. Once the liner is removed you can move it to the side and leave it hanging from the kiddie release handle.

Next locate the wire loom that plugs into the third brake light. It has two wires (The POSITIVE is Black/Yellow, and the NEGATIVE is Brown).

Cut both wires. Then splice the BLP-1's RED wire to the vehicle side of the Black/Yellow wire. Splice the BLP-1's WHITE wire to the brake light side of the Black/Yellow wire.

Next splice the BLP-1's BLUE wire to the vehicle's Brown wire. The BLP1's BLUE wire goes to ground, but I couldn't get a sufficient ground from the existing screws in the trunk, so I just spliced the BLUE wire directly to the brown wire.

I used heat shrinkable crimp connectors available at auto parts stores.

Test operation, then zip tie everything in place...

Re-install the inner trunk liner.

:headbang:
Appreciate 0