12-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #70
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
I own a M6 Gran Coupe and instead of opting to wait for this new M5 F90, I opted for the W213 E 63 AMG S. It is pretty obvious that as far as performance goes, these two cars are pretty much identical. The difference in acceleration is minimal, and the difference in handling is probably next to zero. I still think the E 63 is probably a slight brush faster than the M5 F90 (considering it was faster in all metric acceleration from 100-200, 100-250, 100-300 comparing to the M5 30Jahre) but the difference is definitely minimal.

The M5 F90 is 20kg lighter (Pano Roof vs Pano Roof) and 30kg lighter (Carbon Roof vs non Pano Roof on the E), but other than that hardware is pretty much the same. Steering Feel, from reviews the E 63 got more praise than the M5 at the launch but it is probably very similar. The 4WD of both have been praised a lot, although it has been said the E 63 has more a RWD car feel on the road than the M5, grip is probably identical too. And although reviews are saying the M5 F90 feels slightly faster on track, it is hard to compare when you are not directly driving both cars, as conditions vary, and they were tested at different tracks. The only thing we can conclude is which will be more visceral and fun to drive. And I am sorry, but the E 63 S probably takes the cake. It has better sound, the engine is more rev-hungry, the transmission is a tad quicker (and since it has shorter ratios, you can explore the revs more often), and the suspension although a little stiffer (this is controversial though, some reviews said it is better, other said it is worse), both probably ride about the same.

The E 63 S is probably the better fun car to buy. The M5 F90 is probably the slightly quicker car on racetrack in England on a cold day (by 0,1s). Basically saying the new M5 F90 although great is a disappointment, because before AMG cars although loud and fun, did not have the poise and accuracy to match an M car. Today though AMG cars are pretty much neck a neck with M cars in terms of driving, and BMW M has not been able to play the AMG Game of being fun when you are not 10/10's.

This is my 2 cents. I feel that when comparos come in, it is going to be pretty much 50-50 both side, because it all depends on what the reviewer cares more. A car that gets the job done with no drama, or one with the drama.

The worst part is BMW M had nearly an year to perfect and finetune the car after the launch of the E 63 S, but apparently that wasn't enough.
Well, it really is to early to tell. But these cars will be judged along other supercars in the near future. The AMG and new E class is a great step forward, but as far as history goes, the M is the drivers car, always was a better and more focused car than the AMG and other competitors.
I do think that it is going to happen again this time around, but the gap might be less with this generation.
The ICE is dying, so what is happening with AMG and M in the coming generations?
The F90 is bringing little excitement, worst part is the uninspiring engine note and the gear shifter, looks like the one in my old E39.
Appreciate 0