View Single Post
      11-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #43
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I've been seeing these cars under $50k all day, even with a 6MT, which made me consider because you don't see them around very often. It'd certainly be more interesting than the 911's you see around.

All it took was to read the forums. The repairs are hilariously expensive. I also watched a video Matt Farrah mentioned he spent thousands replacing his handbrake cable on his Vanquish.
With something like an AM, invoices below five figures should be pretty much run-of-the-mill upkeep expenses. A GT3 owner once told me his Ferrari was laid up because he didn't want to pay just then for the $20K brake job it needed. An R8 owner told me his brake job was $7K – I'm not sure, but I think that was just the fronts.

In the 70s I paid $1,925 in 10/2020 dollars for some really minor work on a Jaguar. That car had a number of engineered-in flaws that could not be fixed. For example, a V12 exhaust system's heat flowing over the transmission tunnel and into the cockpit. I lived in North Texas at the time, and that was a terrific feature in the winter but just a really bad bug in the summer.

Either the dealers didn't know about the car's failings or they were happy to just take my money and claim the job had been done. I spent too much time arguing over invoices with those dealers' service managers and chose to sell the car after a year of owning and (mostly) enjoying it.
Appreciate 0