View Single Post
      11-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
I recently sold my 991.2 Turbo and have an M5 competition coming my way tomorrow. It will be interesting to compare. Straight line speed numbers are virtually the same. Obviously, the M5 won't move like a Porsche.

That said, the 991.2 Turbo leans more towards being a GT car than a "pure" sports car. For instance, I wouldn't call the handling of the Turbo "go-kart" like. I used to own an s2000 and a Cayman GT4. Those were go-kart like.

No doubt, the Turbo has endless grip and it's capabilities are insane, but it is a heavier car and feels that way.

I moved on because the Turbo was too expensive to daily and the lack of four doors made it an impractical second car. I think the M5 is a natural alternative to consider.
Quote:
Nothing wrong with it being a GT car.

I'd argue the Turbo is closer to an M5 than it is to a GT4.
Quote:
I've had my car for a few days and mostly driven around town. In full blown sport-plus mode, the M5 does remind me of the Turbo. The BMW automatic is really not far off from PDK - I am surprised by how quickly and aggressively it shifts. Overall, in this mode, the car is edgy and fast and feels surprisingly nimble for what it is.

It has great power. Not violent like a Turbo, but not many things are. I'm also still in break-in. Once I get more miles in it, I'll be able to push and really tell at that point.

Steering feel in sport-plus is pretty decent. Like the Turbo, I think this car gets a bum rap on that end.

In full comfort mode, the car pretty much drives like a regular 5 series. Very comfortable and without a lot of character. Which is not a bad thing. When I'm in traffic, sometimes I want a car that just disappears.

I've never owned a car that so radically changes it's character depending on the mode button.

I wouldn't expect this car to replicate a 911 - that's not what it's supposed to do. That said, these vehicles do have very real similarities in character and power delivery. Awesome car.
These are all very astute, experiential posts. I heartily agree. Porsche Turbo cars are all rounders - very very GT like - but they are still a few (many) more degree's a pure sports car than the F90 M5. That said - the F90 M5 can do many of the things the 991.2 Turbo can. Like the F90 M5 it has swift personality changes depending on mode. Owning both is always an awesome answer - but if I were going to go choose two cars - I would likely choose something - more - different between the two.

All round - I still stick with the F90 M5 - winter/summer etc. - and all round performance. For two cars - I have chosen more extreme differences.

As always - fortunate to have these decisions to make.
Appreciate 2
Vic5519365.00
onfireX53618.50