View Single Post
      09-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I thought that the price was pretty outrageous myself...

Thinking about it.. The $1300 in parts you can't really agrue with - I'm sure there is markup on those but it is what it is. The Fuel Control Module was completely 100% unnecessary and wasn't the cause of any problems. I'd be more inclined to have replaced the fuel pump over the module, but their diagnostics pointed to the frel pressure sensor or module so the warranty company decided to replace both.

Let's break it down...
Idle control valve can't take more than 7 hours...

Seven hours at 125 an hour comes to $875
Figure two hours for diagnostic time - $250
Replacing the fuel pressure sensor - $250 (ballpark two hours, I'm guessing here)
Replacing the fuel module (this litereally takes 10 minutes and requires no programming or coding, so I'm not going to put a number on this.)

Adding all of that up, I come to $2700. I can't imagine what the last $1000 is for, seems like gouging to me..

Yesterday I read the codes and I had a code for 'Fuel Model Comparison'. So I'm not sure if this is the end of their ordeal, there may be something else that might need replacing. The car is definitely a monster again and doesn't exhibit all of those quirkly low end drivability problems it had before taking it in. Time tells all tales
Maybe I missed it, but do you mind sharing which company you are using?

When I went through the throttle actuator ordeal, the prices that I was reading for this job were upwards of $2k.
The DIY can be done in half a day with parts cost coming to $800. So they will kill you on labor, for a job that I thought was not bad at all and I'm not THAT skilled of a mechanic.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0