09-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
I just can't see BMW being so stupid as to change the name of their best-selling nameplate of all time. It would be like Toyota changing the name of the Camry or Chevrolet rebadging the corvette as the clipper. It's one thing to introduce a new model (i.e., the 1 series). It's something altogether different to eliminate the name of your bestselling and most popular model.

I think all the talk about the 4 series is just that: talk. Until I see or hear something official coming out of Munich I won't believe it. The 3-series is simply too iconic to delete it. Besides, there are only so many single digit numbers BMW can start naming model series' with. If 1, 6, and 8 are reserved for coupes and 5 and 7 are sedans then all you have left is 2, 3, 4 and 9. They can't really use 9 because too many Porsche models use 9.

What would BMW have to gain by ditching the 3 and stepping up to 4? It's not like the numbers actually mean anything. If BMW were to replace the 3 with the 4, then that leaves with 2 and 3 to use for future models. At some point as the 1 series grows up it only seems natural for them to return to 3, just like they returned to 6 after 15 or so years of not having a 6 series.

If BMW were to delete the 3 series and rebadge it as a 4-series, I think their customers would punish them at the bottom line. The 3-series is a legend, the 4 series is WTF? What's that?
Have you read the threads about the 4er series ... have you understood these threads?

I think not ... ... there is no deletion of the 3er series or replacement with the 4 ... the 3er series would be the best selling model also in the future ... only the coupes and the convertible gets the 4er lable!
Appreciate 0