03-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #50
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Brand new Plant Spartanburg construction that has started within last two weeks. The areas now under construction are net new area's....i.e. Previously undisturbed land... And not related to original $900 Mil Expansion for X4 and to prep Plant Spartanburg for 300k in unit volume.....Whatever is afoot is big... I would still not discount Engine Plant... Only missing local Manufacturing Component for full standalone Auto Production. Food for thought...Toray Industries, a Tokyo based Carbon Fiber Manufacturer just announced a $1 Billion dollar Plant in Spartanburg County South Carolina ( Same County as South Carolina BMW Plant) Coincidence..... I think not. I realize for now....BMW supplies it's own Carbon Fiber.... Carbon Fiber Supplier in your backyard.....?? For sure stay tuned... Thanks. PalBay
Toray and BMW I would see as a no go- but think about BMW's current method for building CF cars (BMWi). There might be some room for efficiency improvement as there is already a back log for i3 production and the i8 is sold out as well. There have been some issues with mass ramp up and the fact only one site is weaving and/molding.... Planes/boats come in with engines from Germany and leave with CF components- just some well rounded speculation of course.