View Single Post
      07-23-2021, 12:31 AM   #52
MSchfiftyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

For what it's worth, the stock high performance, high metallic content pads on the M essentially glaze over from even a day's worth of normal city driving (how we all mostly drive these cars) This essentially creates a millimeter thin layer on the pad (though sometimes it's both on the pad and the rotor, depending on pad content) that reduces friction (and heat), absorbing some of the bite against the rotor, resulting in the noise, especially at low speed. The pads are designed to handle repetitive beat downs on the track; just from sound alone in the first week of driving my LCI M5 I could tell these are very high iron content pads, which is great for long term wear (relatively speaking) when getting stomped on. It also means when you're not stomping on them, they will just glaze more quickly.

Get out on a totally empty on-ramp up to 70-80MPH and straight up stand on the brakes, panic stopping to 20-30MPH, it will burn the glaze layer right off the pads (and rotors, if present) and give you anywhere from a couple of days to a week of noise free operation. Unfortunately you'll have to rinse and repeat unless you swap to a lower iron content pad, which will be more quiet, but also wear even faster than the semi-weekly stomp dance. Fun times with race car brakes, glad I got the dealer to throw in the extra maintenance package that includes brakes for the full 3 year/36K period!
afo818254.50
omgmike359.00