09-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I was doing my due diligence for a few months before ordering my car so I can chirp in a bit

Don't go with a pre-cut film kit. Make sure you use an installer that does a custom install (aka they lay the film over your car and cut it to fit, rolling the extra film over the edges). The only really noticeable places you can tell are near the bottom left and right air ducts on the m-sport bumper (there isn't enough film to fill the whole duct due to the shape). It is so barely noticeable, I'm definitely the only person who will know it's there.

What's the point of sealing over a car bra anyways? I have no problems with it with >2k miles. You just can't use waxed car soap. Get the clear stuff

After doing my research on films, the 3M has the worst orange peel. I opted for the xpel ultimate and I'm very satisfied with it. It is self healing, protects the best from what I've seen, and is the longest lasting.

I can take some pics as well... not sure how well I can get them to show edges however.
Thanks for your post Steve. I'm concerned about a custom install because it necessitates cutting into the paint in certain cases and I definitely don't want that. I found this out when reading the website of one reputable installer. They can do custom but they just warn people that cutting the bra on top of the paint is necessary and this will also slightly cut into the paint job. They said it's not visible because it lines up with the bra edge but it would be visible after taking out the bra. This was really in the interest of full disclosure because they deal with exotics and this is not acceptable to some. Even if not visible I don't like the idea of an aggressive install like this. I know you might say a good installer won't cut into the paint but, I feel that's it's pretty much impossible to tell if the installer is that good before giving him the job.

It looks like Premier is the top choice installer on the West coast but I don't see any on the East coast....

I'm definitely welcoming the idea of posting pics here, thanks!

Last edited by ft1339; 09-27-2013 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0