01-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 View Post
This seems like fun, but why no chapters in Idaho?
I think a lot of it has to do with member density, but the ultimate reason is that no one has tried to set up a chapter in Idaho. Anyone can volunteer to create a chapter as long as the rules and governance of the CCA are followed.

For almost a decade, the Portland metro area (and most of Oregon really) defaulted to Seattle/Puget Sound because a local chapter didn't exist. That changed in 2010 when the Oregon chapter was formed, based in Portland. This was mainly due to the dedication of a small group of people that wanted better representation for their region.

I imagine it would be difficult to attract enough members for a sustainable chapter in the more rural regions. The Puget Sound chapter only has about 2,600 members in a metro area with 3.3 million people, and we are considered a fairly big chapter for the CCA. That doesn't bode well for Boise metro with only 600,000 people where trucks and domestic vehicles dominate the landscape.

A challenge for all CCA chapters right now, new and old, is to retain and attract new members. It's pretty obvious that technology has changed the social interaction of our society, but as a car club, we struggle to understand why the online community thrives and we can't attract new members. The Pebble Beach Concours is not online. Track days are not online. Show and Shines are not online. Wine tours are not online. Dyno days are not online. Tech events are not online.

There's only so much satisfaction one can receive from posting pictures of a new exhaust on a forum. Driving over a few mountain passes with a group of BMWs, or appreciating the extra power on the track is an entirely better experience.