TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If it really is a stock block, I am impressed. Perfect timing and consistent high octane fuel reduces the chance for detonation that bends rods but everything I have read is that the rods simply are not strong enough for 800 lbs rwtq.
Yea I'm impressed as well, I rewatched the video twice, and while they don't really do a good job mentioning the specifics of the mods, it seems like they never actually messed with internals. It makes sense that for one, the car is normally on "street" tune, and during their record runs they were expecting something bad to happen.

I'm might be wrong but I don't think build internals is a very common things for the F90. There was a youtube video about a US auto metal shop, that fabricated forged/robust rods and pistons. It seemed to be the only shop in the US that did that, they also had to do a lot of trials and testing to make sure everything was balanced and had the same level of mechanical performance that an oem part would.

So it would makes sense their internals are stock, because either they don't have a good solution for aftermarket rods/piston in that part of the world, or they don't have the capability and/or resources to fabricate and test their own. That would be its own beast on top of all work they did with that car.

And lastly I had a buddy, another M5 owner tell me that the part number for the rods is identical for the S63 and S58 platforms. And there is a lot of tuned S58s and B58s that allegedly don't bend rods, while the M5 does. I find it strange since it makes sense that some internal parts would be similar across the line up, but I'm no engineer. I'm sure in the V8 there is a reason it breaks easily compared the 6cyl engines.

I don't why they don't just beef up the internals, like the AMG did with the fully forged V8, the trans can handle it.
Appreciate 0