Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good result. But I don't understand how they give the m5 and the e63s the same marks in the quarter mile , when the m5 has been measured with a faster quarter mile. Someone explain that to me.
To your question; there is quick (ET) and fast (MPH). The tenth difference could simply be slightly superior traction, launch tune and/or gearing. What is most critical is the MPH (potential of the car). When you spin your MPH can actually increase versus decrease. So - IF the E63S were able to match the 10.9 1/4 ET that the M5 did - maybe with that extra traction it was missing - it would likely trap even lower (my guess is a MPH to 1.5 MPH or so). So - this demonstrates that there is a slightly larger difference between the cars than the ET shows. It also shows that if the M5 has more potential and could run an even lower ET. 129 MPH in the drags world is easily a midish 10. These cars aren't drag cars of course - so they are tuned to launch in a way that won't as likely break anything and with stock rubber.

That said, I will say that these cars are extremely close - all of the stats show about a tenth difference from 0-60, 0-100 with 0-150 times where the E63S finally equals things out (maybe it is gearing again or tune where it is slightly superior in the top end to be able to catch up).

All of this said - let's also be fair that it takes the highest end E63 (the S) to be close to even with the "entry" or "base" M5. Overall however - my guess is that the M5 - in the 1/4 mile at least - will be found to have at least a MPH to even 2 MPH advantage overall to the E63S on average.
I read in another article one factor is the Mercedes having a 9 speed transmission. It has one extra gear to go thru.
Appreciate 0